We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Museum of Fine Arts in Rouen began to exist in 1789, when France ceased to be a monarchy and all works of art were nationalized. The decree of 1790 obliged a specially created commission to carry out an inventory of all cultural values and distribute them to museums and galleries. Of course, it is not surprising that most of the paintings and exhibits remained in Paris, in the Louvre. The remaining paintings were distributed to provincial museums.
Rouen owes the creation of the museum to two talented people - Lemonier and Le Carpentier. It is thanks to the efforts of these two painters that we can now observe Museum of Fine Arts in Rouen.
Since 1974, most of the paintings from the museum in Rouen were returned to their owners, as France again became a monarchy. But still, some of the paintings remained in the museum, because the owners of the paintings could not be found (someone escaped when there was a revolution, and someone was simply executed).
During Napoleon's campaigns in French museums, the so-called stage beginssecondary accumulation". Of the countries that Napoleon occupied, a flood of magnificent cultural values poured into France, most of which, again, went to the Louvre Museum (read the article “What Napoleon Did for the Louvre”).
In 1801, the French government passed a decree establishing 15 museums in the country's largest cities. The city of Rouen was included in this number, the official representative of which was Lemonier, who at that time lived in Paris. It was he who was appointed to lead this operation. Lemonier did not lose time, and soon 38 paintings from the Louvre went to Rouen, which complemented his already small collection.
You could visit the Museum of Fine Arts in Rouen in July 1809. When Napoleon was overthrown, some paintings returned to other European countries to their masters. But the museum in Rouen was almost not injured. Only three paintings were withdrawn from his collection. But this loss was completely invisible, as the museum’s collection was replenished with various private gifts, as well as paintings brought from the Louvre. So, in 1876, due to the fact that there was no longer enough space for the museum, a decision was made to erect a new building for the museum, which was built only 12 years later.
And in 1888, the inhabitants of France were able to visit the Museum of Fine Arts already in the new building, which, it should be noted, became much larger and contained almost all the museum exhibits in its halls. Visitors will find paintings dating back to the 15th century in the museum, but there are also works by contemporary artists.
The greatest pride of the Rouen Museum of Fine Arts is the collection of paintings Theodore Gericault. Fans of this painter's work should be invited to Rouen, although the Louvre has 7 of the most famous paintings by Gericault, but all of his other works are here in Rouen.