In 1868, the city of Milan inherited a magnificent collection of paintings and sculptures by the Marquises of Folliani. designed by Leopoldo Pollack, a well-known architect in those days, who in itself is considered in Milan to be one of the greatest masterpieces of the classicism era. In the future, the villa was replaced by more than one owner, until in 1920 it went to the Milanese municipality. And a year later it was opened here at the expense of donations from Lombard philanthropists Gallery of Modern Art, dedicated mainly to the art of Italian masters of the XVIII - XX centuries.
Now this building is known as Villa Reale on Via Palestro. Over time, the collection was replenished thanks to rich collectors and wills, and in the 50s of the XX century part of the collection was transferred to the Pavilion of Modern Art, built next to the villa. On the basis of part of the exposition, in 2010 a separate Museum of the twentieth century was also established, located on the Cathedral Square of Milan in the building of the Town Hall.
Now the museum's collection consists of more than 2700 sculptures and paintings located on two floors in almost fifty halls. The collection contains works in the styles of divisionism, futurism, neoclassicism and romanticism of such recognized masters as Auguste Renoir, Amedeo Modigliani, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso. The works of the impressionists Claude Monet, Berthe Morisot, the post-impressionists Toulouse-Lautrec, Paul Gauguin, Van Gogh, Paul Cezanne, the futurists Umberto Bocci and Giacomo Balla, and many other artists and sculptors are also exhibited.
The expositions in the museum are located in a seemingly unsystematic manner, but in such a way that the viewer does not get tired of the uniformity of styles, but in combination with the splendor of the interior decoration of the halls of the Villa Reale receives a true aesthetic pleasure.