We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The idea to create this museum in Munich has been in the air since the beginning of the 20th century, but the first step to this was that in 1933 a unique collection of deer horns was put up for sale, owned by Count Arco-Zinneberg, who was not only a passionate hunter, but and he bred deer himself. The Bavarian government bought it, and the godfather of the Hunting Museum of the Third Reich was Hermann Goering, an associate of Adolf Hitler, a lover of hunting himself. As a result, a museum was opened in Nymphenburg Castle in 1938, the basis of which was this collection, with animal models, on whose heads horns were adorned.
During the war, and after it, and the occupation, part of the collections was looted, but much was saved in the building of the former church of the Augustinian monastery, which is in the city center on Kaufingerstrasse. In 1958, the new Hunting Museum was also opened there. With the expansion of the collection, in 1982, expositions representing fisheries appeared here, and the museum began to be called Museum of Hunting and Fishing.
Visitors in front of the entrance are greeted by Munich's famous statues of catfish and wild boar. They are here as a pointer. The museum itself is a multitude of expositions located on an area of more than 3000 m2. As before, the collection of Count Arco holds an honorable place here, and besides this, about 1000 stuffed animals of various kinds, as well as skulls and skeletons of long-extinct species. The pride of this exposition is the skeleton of a cave bear and the skeleton of a real megaceros - a giant deer with a horns on a scale of more than 3 meters, which lived 10,000 years ago in Europe.
Museum expositions tell about hunting from the Stone Age to the present day. Here you can see the installations of the life of ancient hunters, their hunting and fishing tools, paintings depicting hunting scenes in various eras, engravings, figurines, household items associated with this craft. An interesting exposition of various clothes and masks for hunting from Bavaria and Tyrol.
The exposition of weapons is magnificent, from bows and crossbows, flint and wick rifles to modern hunting equipment. Amazing decoration and inlay of old guns and hunting knives attracts not only weapon lovers. In addition, a good collection of hunting sleighs is also presented here - a long-forgotten attribute of hunting, used in the 19th century.
The entrance to the other half of the museum, devoted to fisheries, meets with a "water" surface. You can walk along it “like on dry land” - water pours and splashes underfoot, fish swim and even get scared of visitors passing from above. The expositions of this section present the entire underwater fauna of Bavaria, dummies of fish, skulls and skeletons of someone’s trophies, as well as various fishing gear and fishing pictures in historical retrospective.
Now in Bavaria, and throughout Europe, the meeting of two representatives of the terrestrial fauna - man and animal - ends mostly peacefully, however, no matter how magnificent the Museum of Hunting and Fishing, unfortunately, its collection of hunting trophies is constantly updated.